Huaraz is a town situated in the stunning Andes Mountains. Most commonly known for its world-renowned trekking and nature but we’re here to tell you this little place has more to offer than just trekking. It also has delicious food around every corner. From Italian to cafes to local cuisine, you’ll have a great time eating your way through this small town. Here’s a compiled list of ten of our favorite restaurants in the area.
El Rinconcito Minero
- Arguably the best place for local cuisine in town. These large, flavorful portions will be a bang for your buck. Popular lunchtime spot amongst locals- so you know it’s gotta be good. We suggest trying to classic Lomo Saltado but no matter what you order you won’t be disappointed at this eatery!
- Sometimes you have a curry craving. This place will not only satisfy it but will have you dying for more. Some Mexican cuisine is offered but if you ask us, the Thai and Indian cuisine steal the show. Don’t eat meat? No problem. This restaurant is a great option for vegetarians as well. On top of all that, they have a great beer selection to help wash down the spicy food!
La Pizza del Abuelo
- Two words: wine and cheese. This little restaurant packs big flavor into their dishes. Run by a family, with recipes passed down from generations before (hence ‘Abuelo’). Grab yourself a carafe of sangria and a pizza or pasta and enjoy!
- Crepes, coffee, nachos, waffles… oh my! This cozy cafe will have your tastebuds dancing (or maybe that’s all the caffeine). Well known amongst the “gringo” crowd and for good reason. Cafe Andino has a nice atmosphere, good music, and is complete with a crackling fireplace. You’ll want to make this your hangout spot. Additional tip: they have a book exchange so feel free to bring that finished book you’ve been lugging around and pick up a new one!
Trivio Resto Bar
- This place has it all! From Sierra Andina craft beers to delicious burgers, salads and pisco sours, you can’t go wrong here. The menu is diverse, so there’s bound to be something for everyone! I may have been guilty of frequenting this place several times in the few days I was in Huaraz.
- Incredible crepes and steak in the same place? Sign us up! A little bit on the pricier side but we all have to treat ourselves sometimes, right?! Not to mention, the desserts are to die for. Another plus: they have a beautiful terrace with mountain views. Yes, please.
Mi Comedia Pizzeria
- We know this is the second Italian restaurant on the list, but both of them were too delicious to leave one out. Mi Comedia has hand-tossed pizza you’ll be dreaming about later. The wine list is extensive. The perfect place to eat and drink after a long trek or a day of exploring.
Sala de Estar
- A great healthy option, perfect for vegetarians. This joint has fresh, healthy options but doesn’t lack in the flavor department. The menu adorns tapas, light pizzas, and pasta. They even have homemade bread! Also, highly suggest leaving room for the passion fruit pie or carrot cake after your meal.
- This cafe (not shockingly American-run) has great fresh food and coffee that will set you free. We’re always in support of breakfast at any time of the day, and this spot does it. The food is delicious and includes but not limited to: smoothies, local cuisine, bagels, soups, salads, waffles, and pancakes. Trust us when we say you’ll be wanting to try it all! Another big plus: some of the best wifi in town!
- Another one of the more ‘upscale’ places on the list but compared to prices back home, this steakhouse will be sure to leave your belly and wallet happy. Juicy steak, fish, and rabbit make up the delectable menu. El Fogon also runs drink and food promotions to keep an eye out for that!
Peru is known for its delicious food. And with such a diverse range of restaurants available, Huaraz will not disappoint. We hope this list will help you navigate your culinary experience in this cute mountain town. Is your mouth watering? Or is that just mine…
Need help getting to Huaraz? We’re always happy to help. Reach out to our team today!