During the journey to the Inca Trail, you will pass through different altitudinal floors, from 2,400 m. up to 4,200 m., at the highest point and of course this influences the climate, which varies according to the height of the place you are visiting.
The climate varies according to the months some with presence of rains, sunny days, cloudy days, cold nights; then we detail the Inca Trail Climate per month:
- In the months of January and March the rains are persistent mostly at night, the days are cloudy but there are nice and sunny days, if we have good luck.
- February, it is the month in which the Inca Trail closes for maintenance. However, the Inca City of Machu Picchu remains open.
- In the month of April, the rainy season ends little by little, and the days become warmer and more pleasant, with sporadic rains.
- Between May and October, the climate is warm and cool, with little rain, sunny days and quite bright.
- The months of June, July, August and September are undoubtedly the best months to complete the Inca Trail, during the day it is clear and you can clearly observe the landscapes, the days are fresher, however, the nights are cold in the high areas.
- During November and December, it is the time when the rainy season begins, the days are sunny, but at any moment it can rain, as well as, there are cloudy days without rain.
It should be noted that in the month of February, it is impossible to reserve the Inca Trail, given that the Ministry of Culture closes the road during this month, to maintain and improve the route.
It is only allowed the entry of 500 people, on any day to the Inca Trail; around 200 of these go to tourists, the rest goes to guides, porters and other trekking personnel. If you think it sounds limited, it’s true.
While alternative walks will provide opportunities for last minute walks to Machu Picchu; hiking on the Classic Inca Trail; Whether it’s two days, four days or more, it requires a reservation in advance to get a space on this hike.
If you arrive in Cusco with the idea of finding a space on the Inca Trail, there is a high probability that you will be deeply disappointed when you do not find any space.